Wednesday 7 November 2012

Settling In

We woke up to view the results of the election this morning.  From the looks of my Facebook feed, people are either crazy excited or think the end of the world is coming.  Since this is an upbeat blog I will refrain from any political comments.  I'm just glad its over and hope that somehow we can all move forward together.

Now on to the English business, we are starting to actually settle in quite well.  Tyler and I have been getting out in the community and doing some events.  Yesterday we went to our first "mum" and me class.  It was a music class put on by the Hampstead Community Center which is basically right outside our door.  It was held in a nice little playroom and a woman with a microphone was singing songs. They also had lots of instruments for the kids to explore.  The ages of kids ranged from around Tyler's age to about 3.  It's crazy because Tyler is the same size as some of the older kids but I forget that there is still so much that he can't do compared to the older ones.  At home he is crazy and babbling and moving all over the place, but at class he seemed a little taken aback.  He stayed close to me the whole time but also had a big smile on his face while he observed the other kids.  They had a little snack time that Tyler enjoyed and then it was "open play".  I'm hoping that he opens up a bit more when we go back.  He's so funny, he didn't really want anything to do with interacting with the other kids but boy was he charming all the moms :)  They also offer a "cooking" and art class at the community center so I think we will make regular visits there.

Then today we went to the library and got our library card and learned about some more classes for kids that we will check out.  After the library we went into the Hampstead Heath - our local park.  They have a few different playgrounds there and today we went to the biggest one - the "Adventure Playground."  Oh Tyler loved it!  I think that will be a favorite for both of us.

Now we are just waiting for all of our things to come on Friday!!! We really can't wait.  After Friday this place will finally feel like home I think.  Although its been a huge transition for me, I'm starting to get a little more used to my stay at home role.  I think going to the "mum and me" classes will make it easier.  And I've actually enjoyed cooking our meals for the whole whole family and am getting adventurous - I made a coconut butternut squash chicken curry that is delicious!

My friend from Oxford Jenny White gets here on Monday!  She's spending a night in London and then headed off to Paris.  I think Tyler and I are going to join her for a couple days in Paris so more travels are coming!
Always love to swing!  This one has a "choo choo" that runs behind it though so I think is a favorite!

He is so interested in the older kids.  He stood there and just watched them running around.  Yes I realize this hat is kind of funny.  I had to buy something to keep him warm!  All other warm weather clothes are coming Friday!

View of the sports fields at Hampstead Heath

Another view of the Heath. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment