Wednesday 6 February 2013

Me time

Tyler and I both had some me time yesterday and the day couldn't have been better!  Alison came over again for a few hours yesterday.  I wanted to give Tyler a chance to get to know her better before I left for a full day in two weeks to go to Surrey to visit the company I may do part time work for.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my free 6 hours.  It was the longest time I have been away from Tyler since my last day at work in September!   I desperately needed a hair cut so ended up calling a salon in Soho that a friend told me about that took standby appointments for the same day.  You can't request a stylist or have a say in the time but the haircut is only 28 pounds (a steal for the salons in that area).  I was surprised when they had a 10:30am appointment but I took it!  I gave Alison the routine again and then jetted out the door to Soho.  It was my first time on the tube without Tyler.  I was amazed by how much easier it was.  I could walk up the escalator, walk fast through the crowd and sit where-ever I wanted on the train!  I had a wonderful haircut and she spent extra time with me and even blow dried and straightened it.  It was honestly so nice to chat with someone about things other than Tyler, that hasn't really happened in a while.  She had never been to America so was asking a bunch of questions and I was asking her about England and things to do in London.  It was lovely!

After the haircut I didn't have any plans so I just wandered around Oxford Street and did some shopping.  While in the giant H&M I looked out the window and saw the big double-decker buses driving by and it really hit me that I lived in London.  We get so caught up in our day to day mum and tot stuff in Hampstead that sometimes it doesn't really feel like we are in London, but on that day it felt great to really be experiencing London, just me.  Don't get me wrong, I love my son and actually did miss him when I was gone, but it was absolutely glorious to have some time alone. 

And Tyler had a fabulous time without me too.  I told Alison about this classical concert for babies called Bach to Baby held at a local church.  I actually wanted to take him to it, but I figured that would be a great activity for them to do together.  She said that he really enjoyed the music, especially the fast stuff he could dance to.  She also said that he was one of the best kids there and that made me a proud mama.  The best news is that he really didn't have any problem being away from me and that will make me feel better if I do work once a week.

Today it was back to "mummy & me" and we went to the Swiss Cottage Library not too far from our place  It was a really cool little space.  Tyler loved exploring the different toys and books that were scattered about.  He's also becoming a lot more social.  It's funny and a little sad to see him toddle up to the older kids and want to play, but most of the older kids don't really want anything to do with him.  I'm sure in their eyes he is this huge baby that grunts and grabs and is a little scary!  But Tyler shakes it off and just plays on his own.  I'm so glad there are so many options for things to do here!

New books are always better than the ones you have!

Playing at Swiss Cottage library

More play
Lunch pose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment