Thursday 10 July 2014

June 19 - 22: Girls Trip to Istanbul!

Hurray - the Kern's computer is back and finally ready to start using again!  Here is the recap of my recent trip to Istanbul with my friend from college, Leana, and her friend Beth from medical school.  I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see this beautiful city and catch up with Leana who stopped in Turkey on her way home to Boston after a 6 month stint in Rwanda.  Special thanks to Alison and JJ who watched Tyler while I was jet setting :)


The Blue Mosque

Blue Mosque selfie!

Hagia Sophia

Inside the Hagia Sophia

This door at the Hagia Sophia was from 2nd century B.C. and placed at this site in the 800s! 

Hagia Sophia kitty.  There were stray cats all over the Sultanahmet district where we stayed.

Street vendors were making this candy everywhere - we think you wind it up on a stick but we didn't try it.

There were also people selling fresh fruit everywhere!

We got the meatballs at Sultanahmet Kofte that was recommended to us by a friend of Leana's. They were yummy.
Topkapi Palace gates - the grounds were seriously amazing and huge.  This is where all the sultans stayed during the Ottoman Empire times.  We bought tickets in the palace to tour the Harem - the place where the sultans and their "people" stayed.  It was very interesting to read about those times and the people that occupied the palace.  From the Queen Mother, to all the concubines to the eunuchs, it was fascinating to read about life in those times (and made me very thankful that I don't live in those times!)   

Leana and Beth in front of the gate

The tile work in the Harem was so beautiful.  This bench made a good picture spot!


Sorry, lots of pictures of tiles.  I loved it!

Silly Americans giggling at the "Harem" name



This was one of the sultan's gathering areas.

Bosphorus beauties!

Next up was shopping at the Grand Bazaar.  This place was so crazy and all the vendors were selling mostly the same stuff.  I got to work on my absolutely terrible bargaining skills (Leana was the pro - I quickly realized that I should have her speak for me)!  We went there twice and the second time we learned to go off the beaten path and go into the store fronts and stay away from the cheap open stalls.  It was quite the experience!

Inside the Grand Bazaar

Light shop at the Grand Bazaar

The New Mosque

We kept going to the Blue Mosque during prayer times when it was closed.  But finally, late in the day, we managed to get in.

As a woman you had to cover your shoulders and head so we had to wear these scarves.  Everyone also had to take off their shoes which grossed me out a bit.  It was quite beautiful so it was worth it!
During our trip the food was either terrible or delicious.  There wasn't much middle ground.  The House of Medusa pictured above was a delicious experience.  They had this adorable little patio to eat and the most delicious chicken almond dish that we debated going back another night to eat again.  

Turkish Delight was the famous dessert candy there.  It takes a bit to get used to but I ended up liking it.  It's hard to describe but like a chewy gel candy with nuts in it and covered in powdered sugar.  They sold them everywhere.

I loved this little bazaar by where we stayed in Sultanahmet.  It was much less overwhelming than the Grand Bazaar and easier to shop at.

I bought a bunch of Turkish towels from this store.  Its funny it was called Jennifer's Haman.  Jennifer is from Canada.  So I basically bought Turkish towels from a Canadian :) 

Another fresh fruit cart at the bazaar

The next day we ventured out to the Spice Bazaar.  This was even crazier than the Grand Bazaar and packed with locals.  

This was the busiest and supposedly best place to buy spices and food items.  I didn't get any spices but I did get some Turkish Delights here to take home to Tyler.

Rows of Turkish Delights

All the shops were bustling 

Bosphorus views

We stopped for a fish sandwich right under one of the bridges.  You could see people hanging their fishing poles down on the bridge above us.  The fish sandwich didn't quite live up to the hype and it ended up being one of the less appetizing dining experiences we had!
Beth and Leana stopped at one of the Turkish Baths at the end of the day.  I came with them and just hung out in the lounge.  My doctor had said not to go into the bath because of the danger of overheating and picking up bacteria in the bath while I am pregnant.  This was a picture of the courtyard.  It sounds like it was an interesting experience!  Maybe next time!
On our last day we went up to Ortakoy - a quaint little market village right on the Bosphorus River

Beautiful views!


We crashed the Four Seasons patio at Ortakoy.  It was so lovely to sit on the nice outdoor couches and relax after the busy days of sightseeing.



We had a delicious breakfast at the House Cafe in Ortakoy.  Leana and Beth had read about it and it wasn't the easiest restaurant to find, but the food was worth it!

Turkish streets
Taksim Square.  It's a bad picture because quite frankly I was a little scared of the tanks and buses of police that were pulling up in full riot gear.  This square has been the scene of many social gatherings and protests in history. 
Police coming out of buses in riot gear

Unfortunately I didn't experience the beauty of this but this is one of Leana's pictures from Cappadocia on their hot air balloon ride at sunrise.  Beth and Leana traveled there before they met me in Istanbul.  I hope to go do this someday - isn't it gorgeous!


Meanwhile, back in Hampstead, Tyler was trying out his new scooter helmet with Dad.


Tyler has had a history of being really mad at me after I leave him.  Lately he has been nasty to me the day after I work and when we went to Iceland it took him a full day to even look at me again.  So I knew that I had to butter him up upon my return to London.  We found this perfect little guitar at the Grand Bazaar that Leana helped me get down to a very cheap price and I knew it would be the perfect thing to make it up to him for leaving.  He is now obsessed with "jamming" on his guitar :)

No comments:

Post a Comment